Can Relatives and Friends Foster/Adopt Too?

If I am a relative of a child who needs care, can I apply to be their Foster Parent?

YES. If the child is in the custody of the State of Louisiana, you may make an application to foster/adopt the child.

Since I am a relative, do I have to meet all of the qualifications to become a Foster/Adoptive Parent?

YES. Anyone becoming a Foster/Adoptive Parent must meet the same eligibility requirements as non relative Foster/Adoptive Parents. The pre-service training hours required may vary.

Can I adopt a relative’s child?

YES. If the child is in foster care and the birth parents’ rights have been terminated by the court or the parents have surrendered their rights, you may make application to the agency to adopt the child. You must meet all of the requirements for adoption as specified by DCFS.

If I have Legal Custody, can I become the child’s foster parent?

NO. Legal custody means that you have been given custody of the child and DCFS is no longer legally responsible for the care of the child. However, you may be eligible to receive various forms of help through the Department of Health & Hospitals (DHH) and DCFS. These options may Include: Louisiana Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP), Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP), a Medicaid Card or financial assistance from the Social Security Administration. To apply, you must contact each agency and complete their application process.

I now have legal custody of a child but want to become their foster parent instead. Will the agency take custody back?

NO. DCFS will not assume custody of the child. In rare cases, an individual can petition the court who may determine that a high risk or hardship situation exists and may grant custody to DCFS.

I am caring for a relative’s child and in the process of becoming a Foster/Adoptive Parent. Can I get financial assistance now?

YES. You may receive financial assistance and a Medicaid card by applying for Louisiana Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) or Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP) from DCFS.

If I foster one child, can I foster another?

YES. Often individuals who become foster parents for a child find the experience rewarding and open their home to other children. This can be done by talking with your Home Development Worker so that your home may be assessed for other foster children.

I am a relative with legal custody; can I adopt the child?

YES. Contact your local court system to proceed with the process.